Pasta with anchovies and breadcrumbs
Yield: 4 servings
500 g spaghetti
Bread or breadsticks for the croutons
2 cans of anchovies
2 cloves of garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt generously.
2. Grate the bread on the large holes of a box grater (or pulse in a processor) to make ¾ cup coarse crumbs, you can also use broken grissini.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, tossing frequently, until light golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Add the spaghetti to the salted boiling water.
5. Heat the remaining extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the anchovies and garlic, and cook until the anchovies dissolve into the oil and the garlic is golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peperoncino. Add in 2 cups of pasta cooking water and let simmer rapidly, this will create a creamy sauce due to the starch of the pasta water.
6. Once the pasta is al dente, strain it and add to the sauce.
7. Add the chopped parsley and toss to coat the pasta with the sauce, adding a little more pasta water if dry.
8. For the final touch, add the bread crumbs and toss to mix.